Wednesday, January 10, 2007

UCAS why and where

So its now a few days isnce I applied, and I realised that I havent writtren how I applied to well heres the lowdown ( awsnt that once a TV show) anyway

Anglia Ruskin in cambridge formally the APU )anglia polytecnic univirsity), I really like the campus at this uni the atmosphere was very friendly and the stfaf's attitudes reflected this they struck me as veruy open minded and talkative, I think the types of students the ARU would attract will be intresteting beacuse ofthe course which looks fantstic, the course is Internet technology which combines web deisgn throghout and other madotry subjects but the rest is moduler so in the furst yera you can pick 2 or 3 options in the 2nd and 3rd about 5 options , depedent on what you pick as each unit is worth a certain mount of points and you have to cahive a certain amount whichout being in lecturers 24 hours a day so obvisoly timetbaling will also play apart in your descions but the dgree modules enable you to pick units such as stuidio practice ( theories and practices of sound recording) and DVDproduction in contrats multimedia hardware systems and search engine optimasation are alos options, in the second year you cango to the USA for a semster (Jan-May I think) andcambridge is in a good location for example a non advance ticket to lobndon costs about £12,They had very good facilities and the accomidaytion was in the classic hall style which is ggood beacuse it enables you to mete peipkle much easier then a flat style hall ( instead of a corddidor of rooms the rooms are split into flats)

Kingston I visted kingston awhwile ago its in a nice area of london in the south west and is near the river thames (walking distance) the tutors were nice and the facillities looked to be good, I was intrested in the course beacuse it is media technology which not only incoprates things like how a digital camera works and how to use 3D max but also web design you can combine it with things usch as internet technology and business which are the 2 choices that Ive gone for internet technology although very unlike the anglia ruskin course will give me uisful skills in web porgramming imn particular.

LSBU (london South Bank Univirsity) This uni is right in the heart of london it is very close to elohant and castle and about 10 minutes from London Liverpool strete by bus.
The course I looked at was the video production BSc (not BA) I meet a really innoative tutor and some of the other stfaf who I didnt met seemd to be intresting and have good industry linnks, the infomation he gave me was very usful and dintresting and the projects ghich were delt with one the course looked very intresting

hertfoshire univirsirty Internet technology and E commerce BSc This is the only uni that I havent visted and I puut an application in baecuse I had space and the course looked intresting, they have very good facillities including a swimming pool, its in hatfield close to london and there is the oppatunity to change pathway at the end of the first year as the firts year is common to a whole range of degreess

Roehampton univirsity This is another really great uni they are in Barnes a middle /upper class suburb of london, the uni is on a 26 hecter plot and consist sof an old collegite sytem of which there are 4 colleges, I think this system works well beacus eit gives a sense of community to each college nad beacuse it means that support are dealling with a smlal area . There is a support coordinatoor for each college as well as centralised support, they had caterd accomidation too which is a bonus as in budgtry terms it makes london cost no more then anywhere else the course content although a little dulll looking , seems to be what industry might want.

what about the losers...

well as you know you can only pick 6 places on your UCAS formand if you chose the same coures but with diffrent single or major honours combinations reeach diffrent subject combination cpunts as a diffrent choice therfore my kingston choice took 2 spaces out of the 6. so I had to loose some
this is why
UCE the first place I visted way back in october 2005 the UCE is in perry barr a suburb of birmingham they have serveral diffrent campuses I looked at 2 others Milloium point the technology centre where many IT programmes are taugh the consvotire where music is taught and the main perry barr campus along with its self catering accomidation, the campus was very large howevre I did fele theywere very out of date with their disability infomation they didnt have an upto date website for disbiality infomsation in 2005 the last update was dated back to 2002.
I alos felt the campus would be hard to get around in a wheelchair or other mobility advice and the howevre nowthatthe DDA has come in I think this will all have to change.
the open day itself was very well organised and I went on serveral tours one of which was around birmingham which aws very good and informative most cities seem to be split into quaters these days and one ofr the quaters I remeber mmost was the jewleery quater ( I think tahts what its called) the history of birmingham is vcery intresting and I;ve evan been round Soaggtti junction.
Although the UCE had quite a nice fele about it I felt that dibsilaity infomation should of been updated more regully and it should of bene ueasy to get to their was no link to it on their main website that is easily viewable.
Middlesbrough I went here also in the October of 2005, I have nevre been so far north and dindt know what to exoect midlsbrough uni is actually called the univiristy of teeside and only has one campus, there are alot of fincial packagess avliable to help students fund their studies particully in favor of those from low incomes famillies, the facillities I thought were average and the infomation was quite good ( the talks given by the lecturers were well put togeather and were obvisoly planned
But I didnt like the accomidation and I didnt like the place very mcuh I fekt uit aws a bit grime.
the courses also werent that intresting to me
Middlsex the Uni is split on to serveral campuses I saw the hendon campus, hendon is in north london and is reachable by tube but it costs £4 return into the city centre and thats with an oyster card. The campus is split into 2 there is offces one isde of the roda and some very modern buildings the other side and this is where the teaching rooms are, the facillities were very good and he tutors where very friemdly although they were very postive about disbiality I fekt that the place did not suit me and that the oppatunties there didnt suit me all that well.
they did osme very intresting dissertations in multimedia such as making a CDROM specifically for a child with some kind of disbiallity.
Bouremouth I visted bouremouth on April 11 2006,it was raining and you can se ethe video diary on my veoh page, the chotel aws nice but I didnt see much of the uni, I mete withthe head of IT as the person I aws going to see was ill I was very pleased with their reaction to my potfolio, but I dindt like bouremouth beacuse verything was so spread oout the train station was a bus ride away from the uni and from the train staion the beach was 30 minutes walk as was the rest of the town.

No comments: