Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Roehampton University

I have had an interview at Roehampton University, this of course meant that I got to look around the campus, mete the staff etc. I thought it was great. The uni is split into colleges which admitdly is an old way of segmenting a uni, but I can see how it would be bemofocal, also each college has a denomination or religon such as Methodist and Roman catholic although with todays modern socity it dosnt make much diffrence other then for history although there ios a chapel and muslim prayer rooms, the campus is huge I think its about 26 hecters I dont know how many football pitche sthat is but apprently golf courses are 100 hecters??
The uni is old and so are some of the buildings but there are also many new ones, some of the halls sound as if they have a lot of charctor which I think is lovly for example there is a converted stables. However there are also newer buildings too. The staff were very friendly and on the computing course I looked at about 8-9% aprox would be mature students.
I also meet the disbaillities officer I aws impreesed that the support is decided by not only head of support but there is also a SENCO ( special educational needs Coordinator) type figure for each schol provoiding subject specific advice.

2 comments:

Keith Clements said...

Hi Robyn
Excellent you are heading in the direction I hoped you would.
Get a degree then a great job, earn loads of money and employ me to drive you around (at an inflated wage of course).
There is no one in this world to hold you back except you yourself, so go for it girl - with your business acumen you will go far - remember no one is better than you and if they say they know what life is all about they are not telling the truth.
Trust your own judgement not others.
I am at the Kirkley Centre in Lowestoft. They closed learndirect centre(3rd most successful centre in Essex & Suffolk) and asked Gemma and myself to open our version here (you can sometimes be too successful!!). We have one year to make it a success of it.
Things are going well enough but we shall see if they actually value what we do. Over 2000 students do value us and that is what keeps us going.
Regards Keith Clements

Robyn said...

Hi Keith

Thank you for your post I hope you guys do well at the kirkly centre Learndirect is a very good source of distance learning I appreciated your help when I was at lowestoft and havnt forgottern it, merry christmas and thank you for your comment ( sory for the delay in responding)